Disability Services

The vast majority of state-funded services for children with disabilities are funded by the special education program of a child's local school district. There are also other specific programs, such as early intervention programs for the youngest children or health insurance for children with disabilities. (See the Children's Budget common thread on Children with Disabilities). There are, however, a few additional state-supported programs for children with disabilities within the human services agencies. In particular, state programs are essential for supporting the transition from special education to adult services.

There are limited services for young children with disabilities funded through the Department of Developmental Disabilities. These services are primarily available to children with intellectual disabilities and with autism spectrum disorders.

For young adults graduating from special education, there are transition services provided through the Department of Developmental Services, the Mass. Rehabilitation Commission, and the Mass. Commission for the Blind.

Are you an expert in this area? Do you know someone who is? Let us know so that together we can make this the most up-to-date, useful resource on children's programs in Massachusetts.