Dept. of Youth Services Teacher Salaries
Official Title: Department of Youth Services Teacher Salaries
- Funding History
Department of Youth Services (DYS) Teacher Salaries funds teachers in DYS facilities. Services provided aim to prepare youth to reintegrate into the community and to make a successful transition to public school, GED preparation, post-secondary education, job skills training or employment.
The DYS Education, Job Training and Employment Services Unit provides services based on the needs of youth. The unit partners with local schools, colleges, the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), families, businesses, industries and communities to provide a varied set of opportunities which can meet the needs of all youth. Primary goals for youth include a focus on literacy skills, success in school and employment and building a positive attitude toward learning.
Educational services are provided to youth who reside in one of 64 residential facilities. Services are directed at the following areas:
- Education – GED preparation, vocational education, life skills and post-secondary education
- Special education is provided through the DESE Educational Services in Institutional Settings (ESIS)
- Educational liaison services connecting DYS facilities with local school districts
- Vocational/work programs including training and employment are provided through partnerships with Regional Vocational Technical High Schools and Workforce Investment Act Boards
The school year operates all 12 months with a minimum school schedule of 27.5 hours per week. The approximately 235 educators are required to hold a valid Massachusetts educator's certificate and all education programs receive certification from their local education authority.
Are you an expert in this area? Do you know someone who is? Let us know so that together we can make this the most up-to-date, useful resource on children's programs in Massachusetts.
- Early Ed & Care
- Early Ed Access
- Commonwealth Preschool Partnership Initiative
- Early Education and Care Provider Rate Increase
- Income Eligible Child Care (Child Care Access)
- Income Eligible Wait List
- Supportive and TANF Childcare
- TANF Related Child Care
- Tax Break for Child and Dependent Care Costs
- Tax Break for Daycare Expenses
- Tax Break for Dependent Under 12
- Early Ed Administration
- Quality & Targeted Programs
- Early Ed Access
- Human Services
- Child Welfare
- Disability Services
- Food Assistance
- Juvenile Justice
- Public Benefits
- Common Threads